The first of the Talpurs, a Baluchi clan, established themselves in Sind in 1783 and divided into three ruling houses at Mirpur, Khaipur and Hyderabad. The Mirs, or princes of the ruling family, appear to have had a fondness for horses, arms and field sports. The name of the scion of the Talpur family on a sword indicates it might have been a gift from the Mir.
The exhibition includes two Talpur swords (see Case 6 for the other one). Both are from the collection of Bruce and Dorothy Brown. Bibliography: Hayes, Peter, "Swords of the Shazadas and Talpurs" (copy in document file)
Talwar (Tulwar) sabre with Scabbard
Steel; Leather; Velvet; Gold
India, c. 1880
This sword is said to have been given to Sir Thomas Erskine-Holland, legal advisor to the viceroy of India by the Maharana of Udaipur in about 1880. There is no inscription on the sabre, which features a galleried channel containing several small balls which roll when the sword is moved. The blade has a chevron design and decorative pattern on one side. The reverse side of the blade has a linear motif. The tulwar hilt has a gilt design of leaves and vines. The style of ornament and form of the swords is of a Persian style, and Persian goldsmiths were probably engaged by the court in enamelling and inlay work. The scabbard is covered with purple velvet and features gilded metalwork at the opening and the point. This presentation sword is similar to those owned by Mirza Mughal Bahadur of the Baluchi Clan. From the collection of Bruce and Dorothy Brown.