This case includes three examples of Wedgwood ceramics decorated with raised relief patterns.

No Pic M983.1.3A-B
Chocolate Jug; Lid
Ceramic
Wedgwood (Etruria)
England, 1810

The caneware milk jug is of unglazed stoneware with chocolate-coloured acanthus relief patterns on a cane coloured ground. It was purchased by the Maltwood Art Museum and Gallery in 1983 from A. Van Daam Antiques.

Bibliography: Mankowitz, Wedgwood
No Pic M983.1.7A-B
Bowl; Lid
Ceramic
Wedgwood (Etruria)
England, 1810

This bowl has a brown fabric with blue relief decorations. It was purchased by the Maltwood Art Museum and Gallery in 1983 from A. Van Daam Antiques.

Bibliography: Mankowitz, Wedgwood
No Pic U984.71.1
Vase
Ceramic; Glaze
Wedgwood
England, 1840

White torches with gold interlace rope reliefs decorate this blue porcelain vase. It was donated to the University by Andy Van Daam in 1983.
Pottery has been made for daily use since ancient times. This display includes five examples of pottery from ancient and classical Cyprus.
Two of these are from a donation made in 1990 by Patrick M. Cavin of Victoria. Mr. Cavin was the Chief officer on the Riverview Park (a Canadian ship) when he purchased these works from the Museum at Nicosia, Cyprus, in 1945.
Bibliography: Correspondence; Export Licence (both in document file).
No Pic U990.20.1
Jug
Ceramic
Cyprus, c. 300 B.C.E.

The label on this jug bears the date 300 B.C.E., and though plausible, the date has not been verified. It is probably a local Cypriot common ware for everyday use. It has a spherical body with central spout and handle.
No Pic U990.20.2
Lamp
Ceramic
Cyprus, c. 300 - 400 C.E.

This Roman oil lamp is another plain terracota ware of local Cypriote manufacture.

Three of the Cypriot ceramics displayed here were donated to the University in 1994 by Maj. Gen. a. James Tedlie of Sidney. Maj. Gen. Tedlie was a Brigadier General commanding the United Nations forces in Cyprus. The Cypriot Government presented these pieces to him when he left Cyprus on 21 October 1964.
No Pic U994.22.3
Amphora
Ceramic
Cyprus, c. 200 B.C.E.

From the Galatia Village of the Carpas Peninsula, this miniature amphora has a cream fabric with two handles attached at the shoulds and neck, and a pointed base. It is undecorated.
No Pic U994.22.4
Jug
Ceramic; Pigment
Cyprus, c. 1400 B.C.E.

This jug is decorated with stripes of black on red fabric. It has a pointed spout with a handle attached both to the spout and the body of the jug. It was made in the region of Polis Tis Khrysokhous.
No Pic U994.22.5
Bowl
Ceramic; Pigment
Cyprus, c. 200 B.C.E.

From the region of Gastrea Village, this bowl of red fabric is decorated with a cream-coloured slip and dark gray bands at the rim and base. One of the decorative handles, or ears, of the bowl has been broken and repaired, exposing the red clay fabric of the bowl.
No Pic U989.10.1
Bottle
Glass
Italy, n.d.

The provenance of this Etruscan tear bottle is unclear. It was donated to the University by Michael V. Molitor in 1990, but the document file has conflicting information about where he received it. One source indicates his mother purchased it at an auction in Brazil in about 1940. A letter in the file refers to a collection of Etruscan and Roman antiquities received in about 1960 by Mr. Molitor's mother from Thomas Chan. Mr. Chan owned an antique shop in Minneapolis, Minnesota and had purchased the collection as a single lot, in Italy in the 1920's. Additional research might clarify the history of this item.

The bottle is flat, with a circular shaped body with a long narrow neck. It was probably hand-blown.
Go To Part 2