No Pic

No Pic
U990.22.1/1, U990.22.1/1-2
Salt Cellars
Gilded Silver
England, 19th century

This pair of Late Victorian salt cellars from Birmingham are of silver with gilded interiors. Each cellar has an oval foot and open oval, slightly fluted top. The exterior is decorated with flower and vine motifs, and initials on one side. They were a gift to Dr. S. W. Jackman in celebration of his 60th birthday from Prince and Princess Abkazi.

From the S. W. Jackman Collection.
No Pic U988.25.4A-E
Lidded Condiment dish; Spoon
Silver
Japan, c. 1910

This small silver condiment set belonged to Dr. S. W. Jackman's grandmother. It features a small dish with lid and spoon.

From the S. W. Jackman Collection.
No Pic M983.3.2
Jug
Copper; Brass
c. 1900

Purchased by the Maltwood Museum from T. Putman in 1983, this copper pitcher has a hinged lid and Art Nouveau motifs.

Bibliography: Condition report (in document file).
No Pic U993.25.10
Vase
Copper; Silver
New York, 20th century

This Roycroft vase has a hammer dressed finish with silver design. The Roycroft Corporation was established in East Aurora, New York by Elbert Hubbard. Hubbard had worked previously with Buffalo Pottery. His new Company was based on the craft principles of William Morris, and by 1912, it was producing a wide range of articles, including furniture, leather goods, books, copper pots, and candlesticks.

Bibliography: Information Sheet (document file).
No Pic U993.25.10
Spade
Silver
Indonesia (Kota Gede), 20th century

Metalwork is also produced in Southeast Asia. This is a Yogyakarta silver tomato or cucumber spade with a "wayang" figure on the top and a crayfish on the spade. It is possible this spade would have been used for a religious feast, given the decorative elements. The spade is part of the collection donated by Gerhard H. and Liana Kuhn. Mr. Kuhn came to Indonesia as a business man in 1937 with his headquarters in Yogyakarta. Mrs. Kuhn, of Dutch-Indonesian descent, was born in Pekalongan. She was the grand-niece of the well-known Dutch batik-artist in Pekalongan, Miran Zeuylen.

Gift of Gerhard H. and Liana Kuhn to the University in 1993.
No Pic
M964.1.291
Scissors
Gold; Steel
Iran (Persia), n.d.

Further research is required to obtain information about these scissors. They are hollow ground steel inlaid with gold damascene work. The quality of craftsmanship is high, and give an idea of the care and attention given to what are sometimes considered mundane objects.

The scissors were part of the Maltwood Bequest..
No Pic
M974.1.6
Compote Dish
Brass; Metal
Europe, n.d.

This Art Nouveau dish of brass plated, press moulded metal has an angel design. It is decorated with floral and figural motifs, and probably dates from the early 20th century. The dish was purchased by the Maltwood Art Museum and Gallery in 1974.
No Pic M964.1.93
Tazza
Agate; Gilded Silver
Italy
Roman and Renaissance ?

Part of the Duer Collection before it was acquired by the Maltwoods, this piece may have a bowl and stand of different dates. The bowl is made from an amber coloured, semi-translucent agate. It is supported by gilded silver, which with another piece of darker and more opaque agate forms the stem. Dr. Bagnani, who looked at the tazza in 1967, suggested the agates of the cup and stand are different types. This might indicate they had been joined together. He suggested the cup could be Roman, but that the stand was made during the Renaissance.

The name tazza is a form of drinking goblet, with a wide, shallow or saucer-like bowl mounted on a stem or foot. It was used in Ancient Rome, and reintroduced during the Renaissance. In the later period, they were often made of silver, enamel or glass, but sometimes of rare or unusual materials.

Bibliography: Smedley, Artifact Condition Report (in Document File)
No Pic U985.9.3A-B
Gauntlets
Buckskin; Beads; Fur
Cree
Canada, 20th century

These Cree gauntlets are trimmed with fur and decorated with beadwork. They were donated to the University by Mr. Herbert W. Taylor in 1985.
No Pic
U981.2.16A-B
Moccasins
Buckskin; Beads; Felt
Woodlands Athabaskan ?
Canada, 20th century

Donated to the University of Victoria by Commander and Mrs. A. J. Tullis in December 1966, these moccasins are decorated with beadwork floral motifs and felt applique in red, yellow, green and navy blue. The moccasins have high ankles, and a seam down the centre front and back of the heel with sinew. Long ankle laces attached at the front provide the closure.
Go To Page 2