Mobile Museum Program of National Museum, Botswana at Ditshegwane Village (Study Tour visit, 1995) CAM workshop delegates in Guyana with the Minister of Culture, Youth and Sports, The Honourable Gail Texeira, 1999 Delegate display at GCAM workshop, Nairobi, 1997 Tswaing Crater, South Africa, 1995 Jennifer Wishart (left), Emmanuel Arinze, Jenny Daly at Museum of African Art, Georgetown, Guyana CAM delegates at the Tswaing Crater Interpretation Centre, South Africa, 1995 Children's dance troupe, Ditshegwane Village, 1995 Charity Namukoko Salasini, Zambia with child guest, GCAM workshop, Nairobi, 1997
 
BACK TO ARCHIVED BULLETINS
Bulletin Number 3 - Oct. 1997
CAM Honoured by New Patrons
The President's Column
City Museums and Museum City: The Jaipur (India) Paradox
The West African Museums Programme: Vision, Achievement and Challenge
The Heritage of Gibralter
Museum of Contemporary Art, Madras, India
Distance Learning Program Review
ICOM '98
Children in African Museums: The Undiscovered Audience, Nairobi, November 9 to 16
CAM '98 Becomes CAM '99
CAM will miss our Friends and Colleagues
News Briefs
Our Challenge

CAM Bulletin Number 3 - Oct. 1997

Museum of Contemporary Art, Madras, India

On March 14, 1997, a new Museum of Contemporary Art was opened to the public in the campus of the Government College of Arts and Crafts, in the south-Indian port city of Madras. The College itself is a 147-year old institution standing in the middle of a four acre, lush, green park in the heart of the city. The museum collection is housed inside the original Victorian building designed by British architects in the 1850s. The Madras School of Art was founded by Dr. Alexander Hunter in the year 1850 with a focus to promote gold and silver creative craftsmanship.

The art-works of the old Madras Presidency graced the Great Exhibition held in England in 1851. Over the years, the College has managed to keep its traditional forms of artistic expression alive while embracing newer forms of visual representations. The collection of works of art on display present a rather soft and gradual cross-section of western and eastern art voiced through the Dravidian effervescence.

The display itself seems to have grown around Dr. Hunter's old-school industrial arts with sections devoted to modern sculpture, traditional and contemporary paintings. The collection includes works of some of the great masters of the Madras School like K.C.S. Panicker, L. Munuswamy, A.P. Santhanaraj, R. Krishna Rao and others.

George Jacob