Old Jam Tower (1910)

Sinclair and Haro, UVic

The tower overlooks Cadboro Bay at Sinclair and Haro streets. It was originally built around 1910 as a water tower for Hamsterely Farm. Owners Algernon and Letitia Pease added a steam boiler and two kettles to turn it into a jam and candy factory. After being condemned and then turned into a stable, the tower and property became part of UVic in the late 1960s. The tower has recently been restored by UVic's facilities management department and received an award May 6 1997 from the Hallmark Society.