of Trade Building (1892)
31 Bastion Square
Peterson & Lester, 1971
Victoria Chamber of Commerce was founded February 9, 1863, its first
duty being to organize an armed escort to accompany gold shipments from
the Cariboo. In 1878 the name was changed to the British Columbia Board
of Trade. In February of 1893 the Board of Trade occupied its new premises.
The facades decorative elements illustrate architect A.M. Muir's familiarity
with both the High Victorian eclectic style and Richardsonian Romanesque.
It is divided symetricaly into two tighter bays flanking a broad central
bay. The bays are defined by four composite pilasters. The window treatment,
with diaper work transoms, differs at each level. Within the rusticated
Saturna granite base is housed the basement and first floor. The entrance,
let into the left bay by means of a superb Richardsonian archway, is
flanked by two squat Doric columns and a band of organic ornament. Another
horizontal band of granite floral ornament runs midway across the facade
elevation at the third floor. The cornice, a heavier and more elaborate
repitition of fourth floor string course, is executed in brick and galvanized
iron. In 1971 architects Peterson & Lester renovated the building
and modernized the interior for reoccupation by commercial businesses.